About Me

Hi. My name is Sally Hall and I write YA. In 2019 I was shortlisted for the Varuna Publisher Introduction Program (I was also shortlisted in 2016). In 2014 I won a PIP Fellowship for a young adult manuscript. In 2013 I was awarded the CBCA NSW Charlotte Waring Barton Award which included a mentorship with Penguin Books Australia. I've had magazine and short stories published in various anthologies and placed in many competitions. I also write in a corporate capacity for my 'day job'. My website is www.sallyhall.com.au.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Recommendation The Sky so Heavy by Claire Zorn (YA)

The Sky so HeavyReviewed by: Sally HallAuthor: Claire ZornPublisher: UQP

Fin is an average guy. His main concerns are trying to impress the beautiful Lucy and not missing the bus to school but everything changes when nuclear missiles are detonated on the other side of the world.

Fin and his younger brother Max wake to a dark, bitterly cold day. Snow is falling and there's no electricity, no internet and no parents. When their food and water supplies begin to dwindle and the air gets even colder Fin must step up, be resourceful and find a way to survive a nuclear winter.
I love a good end-of-the-world type story and The Sky so Heavy did not let me down. The drama is extremely well paced, allowing the reader to soak in the dire circumstances but not get bored. The action is realistic yet horrifying and the characters are so well written that you want them to survive this hell they've been placed in.

Set in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales, Australia made it even more chilling for me (rather than the usual US towns that usually feature in nuclear disaster movies/books). I highly recommend The Sky so Heavy for teens and adults. This book would make a great addition to high school libraries.
I look forward to reading more of Claire's work.

For more information see http://www.uqp.uq.edu.au/Book.aspx/1263/The%20Sky%20So%20Heavy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will be shown after the author has given approval.