When I first started writing I felt guilty about spending money on anything but in particular on memberships and subscriptions until I realised that they are not only interesting but essential for your growth as a writer. If your passion was collecting coins or snow skiing you'd be investing in pieces or equipment so this is no different.
Benefits of joining your local writers' centre could include:
- Receiving a newsletter which usually contains information about courses, lectures, writing competitions.
- Gives you a chance to meet like-minded people and possible critique partners (maybe even a new great friend or two!).
- Facilitates writing and critique groups.
- Invitations to industry events and book launches.
- Some writers' centres even publish anthologies of members work which is great for your writing resume.
- Provide opportunities for volunteering your time on events or projects sponsored by the centre.