About Me

Hi. My name is Sally Hall and I write YA. In 2019 I was shortlisted for the Varuna Publisher Introduction Program (I was also shortlisted in 2016). In 2014 I won a PIP Fellowship for a young adult manuscript. In 2013 I was awarded the CBCA NSW Charlotte Waring Barton Award which included a mentorship with Penguin Books Australia. I've had magazine and short stories published in various anthologies and placed in many competitions. I also write in a corporate capacity for my 'day job'. My website is www.sallyhall.com.au.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Varuna, I love you...

I have recently returned from my second visit to Varuna (http://varuna.com.au/). It was just as magical as the first time! I got so much work done that I estimate it was equivalent to three months of work I would have got done at home.

Typewriter in Eleanor Dark's studio with my laptop in the background

So what's so great about Varuna? Well, let me elaborate...

  • It's a beautiful, historical home full of character, books, amazing vintage treasures and gardens
  • You have your own room and writing space
  • A delicious meal is prepared for you every night so that means no time wasted on grocery shopping or food preparation
  • There are four other writers there each time meaning you will meet some amazing, like-minded people
  • There are huge bookshelves of works by writers who have visited Varuna House in the past
  • It's close to the quaint and quirky town of Katoomba and walking tracks
  • You can write, write, write all day and night if you so choose!
I would encourage any aspiring writers out there to apply for the programs offered by Varuna House. I was lucky enough to win a Publisher Introduction Program last year (and hence my first visit to Varuna). It is truly an amazing place.

 I hope to go back again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will be shown after the author has given approval.